Tuesday, June 28, 2011

An Embarrassment of Resources

Feeling a bit overwhelmed and rather excited about this MOOC. Today I scanned digests of emails and garnered quite a few links to check out, including:



Links to tools:
Social bookmarking
Constructing learning objectives
Aligning objectives with learning strategies and assessment
Building rubrics
Quality Matters



Links to blogs:
Michelle Pacansky-Brock's blog on building learning communities with social media
Rebecca Hogue's blog entries re MOOC learning objectives
Brian Christensen's blog on digital teaching and learning



Emails to people with interests similar to mine (community education, humanities teaching online, self-directed learning):
Vanessa Vaile - interested in applications for online community learning and self-paced study groups - vcrary@yahoo.com
Paul Bettinson - interested in e-learning in interactive art courses - paul.bettinson@gmail.com



AND yet another book to add to my reading pile: Jane McGonigal's Reality Is Broken, recommended by Norman Constantine (bufnet@verizon.net)



I also need to address the question of my personal learning objectives for this MOOC. Guiding statements from fellow participants include: "...learners can determine what to do with the given links and resources (objectives/activities), what they want to get out of the unit/learning experience (outcomes), and how to measure their own success (assessments)" - Clark Shah-Nelson and "...evaluate where I think I am on the continuum of the huge topic of online learning" (James Davis).



Um, I think that's enough for today....

1 comment:

  1. Thank you kindly for the interest - I better not spend all my words in group and save some for blogging. Wish I had done what you are doing here my first MOOC (which, to multiply confusion, I started two weeks in). Being overwhelmed is the norm. After a couple, you'll have a better idea how to pack for the trip (there's a post title), plan tentative itinerary - everyone does it differently.

    Dave Ferguson blogged his first MOOC, starting with "Plunked into PLENK." You'll find his comments both familiar and heartening. The other Dave, Cormier, who did the what/how mooc videos, has also blogged "mooc adjustment" and reflections on Dave's Educational Blog.

    I still have to remind myself that I can't read everything

    ReplyDelete